VIC Car Insurance Claim - What Else am I Entitled to?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cmb

29 June 2016
Hey all,

Hopefully, someone here can help me out.

Earlier today, my car was hit while parked in a space on the street. It is totalled and won't be able to be repaired. Luckily, I was working and not in the vehicle at the time so I am not injured. The man who hit my car is in the hospital as of now, though. I haven't heard on his condition as of now.

I've done the initial filing of a claim with my car insurance, but I wanted to know if I'd be entitled to anything else. Would I be able to sue him for more than what the car insurance is willing to pay out? Would I be able to make him pay my excess of they ask for it? Would it make a difference if I find out he was intoxicated?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If he has insurance everything gets fixed under his policy, not yours.

As you are likely to be 'made whole', what sort of expectation do you have as to what else you feel you are entitled to? Australian law is not like what you see on US TV shows, there will be no windfall of money to you.

S

Sophea

Ultimately a lawsuit will only ever entitle you to recover the loss that you have suffered. Generally, this will be the cost of the vehicle - which your insurer will actually sue him or his insurer for - if for some reason they deny liability.

The settlement that will be agreed to by your insurers once money has passed is that you and your insurer will release the other guy and his insurer from any future claims in respect of the accident. So no you can basically recover money for lost vehicle through insurance, nothing else.