NSW Insurance Claim After Car Accident - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nep

5 February 2018
Please help me with this one:

i got involved in an car accident on June 2017. I was turning right on a traffic signal and this guy who was coming straight hit my car on left rear wheel where petrol tank is located. The guy who was driving does not own the car and he had got hole in his licence. His car's front bumper got a minor scratch but my fuel tank with the rear bumper and left rear light (break/signal/reverse) were hardly smashed.

I paid $1700 to repair my car. Now the owner's car insurance company has sent me a invoice of $17000. I believe it was his fault to hit me. I talked with my insurance as I have only third party insurance, and they say I need to make a claim in this case and I have to pay $1200 upfront before they talk with the other party's insurance.

Other party's insurance has now gone to a lawyer and they have asked me to give them my insurance claim number which I have not done till now. What will be next procedure for me now?

Please help me with this as i don't know anything about this kind of situation!

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Were you turning on a green light or a green arrow? What do you mean by the other driver “got hole in his licence”?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Please help me with this one:

i got involved in an car accident on June 2017. I was turning right on a traffic signal and this guy who was coming straight hit my car on left rear wheel where petrol tank is located. The guy who was driving does not own the car and he had got hole in his licence. His car's front bumper got a minor scratch but my fuel tank with the rear bumper and left rear light (break/signal/reverse) were hardly smashed.

I paid $1700 to repair my car. Now the owner's car insurance company has sent me a invoice of $17000. I believe it was his fault to hit me. I talked with my insurance as I have only third party insurance, and they say I need to make a claim in this case and I have to pay $1200 upfront before they talk with the other party's insurance.

Other party's insurance has now gone to a lawyer and they have asked me to give them my insurance claim number which I have not done till now. What will be next procedure for me now?

Please help me with this as i don't know anything about this kind of situation!

Hi,
Best to do is pay the $1,200 which I assume is the excess and start with the claim process, if you are at fault, then it is not refundable, but if you are not at fault that amount will be paid back/refunded to you when the claim is processed. The insurance company will ask you the details of the accident and they will determine whose at fault.
What ever happens don't deal with the other insurance company, what ever you receive from them or their lawyer/solicitor, just refer it to your insurance company (after you start the claim) and don't give any information or talk to them, the only thing to give them is the claim number and insurance company name.

Good luck.