NSW Car Accident - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TonyJ

6 July 2015
Hi all

I was involved in a minor car accident the other evening.

The scenario is; another vehicle was travelling too close to me down the street (tailgating) and after a short distance, we approached the face of a bridge incline where I had to stop fairly abruptly to allow a bus to come through from the opposite direction. The bridge is too small for a bus and a 4WD so I decided to stop to allow the bus through as he had already began moving up the its side of the bridge.

Whenever I stop at traffic lights in my 4WD, I always place it in neutral to avoid unnecessary load on the auto trans and engine however I do not remember actually doing this when stopping at the bridge. In this instance I obviously did as the car rolled back a short distance when i went to turn the wheel to the left and move a little forward towards the side of the bridge and afford the bus some more room to get through. The consequence is that my 4WD struck the front of the other vehicle as I had insufficient time to react to my 4WD rolling back (its a fairly heavy vehicle) and I believe the other driver had stopped too close, not allowing for any errors.
In addition, the other driver pointed to damage on the front of his car however there is no way to determine if my vehicle actually caused this damage or it was already there as it was a reasonable size impact mark.

Your thoughts anyone?
Regards.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
With all courtesy,
Whenever I stop at traffic lights in my 4WD, I always place it in neutral to avoid unnecessary load on the auto trans and engine...
This is, at best, an urban myth.
Your thoughts anyone?
Safe operation of the vehicle is the driver's responsibility.
That includes awareness of proximity of other vehicles, and varying your driving technique accordingly to avoid a collision.
Going (only) by what you have told us here, I'd say this one's all you.