VIC Car Accident Debt - Debt Collectors Taking to Court

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
16 August 2015
I had a car accident a couple of years ago. When the debt collectors agency got in touch with me I told them that I can only pay instalments as my wife is not working and we have a baby to support as well. The debt collectors took default judgement against me and want me to pay the interest on the debt and other charges. I have no assets and still willing to take pay.

What options do I have?

Thanks.

Amanda E

9 April 2014
What is the amount of the debt? And did they get the default judgment in the Magistrates Court? If so, see Civil and Money Matters FAQ | Magistrates' Court of Victoria that takes you through your options for applying for a rehearing.

You might also find this article of dealing with debt collectors helpful: Debt Collectors - Tips for Dealing with Them! - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au.

It may be the case that you can negotiate a payment plan with them, and also then apply for rehearing to set aside the default judgment. Make sure you get everything in writing/write down details of all phone calls as well.

16 August 2015
What is the amount of the debt? And did they get the default judgment in the Magistrates Court? If so, see Civil and Money Matters FAQ | Magistrates' Court of Victoria that takes you through your options for applying for a rehearing.

You might also find this article of dealing with debt collectors helpful: Debt Collectors - Tips for Dealing with Them! - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au.

It may be the case that you can negotiate a payment plan with them, and also then apply for rehearing to set aside the default judgment. Make sure you get everything in writing/write down details of all phone calls as well.

Thanks a lot Amanda for taking time to reply, the debt amount was $4800 but now with the further costs and interest it's around $6800 as I offered them various payment options but they refused all of them without providing any reason and wanted full money in one go.

I was planning to go to court for instalment order but doing that I will have to pay the full amount but I really think that the other party didn't follow the code of conduct as they never showed any intent on settling this matter.

I have a complete record of my conversations with them, so please suggest that if I apply for payment plan in court in order to stop any further charges then can I apply for setting the judgement aside sometime after that??

Thanks