VIC Can the police open my front door without my consent....

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sammy01

27 September 2015
no.
You seem to be working on the assumption that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and stupid. Maybe, just maybe you've got that assumption wrong....
The cops knocking loudly is not the long arm of the law encroaching on your civil liberites. It is a copper knocking on the door.

Mollis

20 July 2015
Read the post. Knocking isn't the issue.

Opening the door is.....

I never called anyone stupid. You took that upon yourself. Jog on and annoy someone else.....

Reactions: Ozwarlock67

sammy01

27 September 2015
"I was after educated responses" U'm that implies my response was not educated - hence stupid.

Now again, it is you who stretched reality by claiming the the cops opening a door means "we are no longer safe in our own houses from the long arm of the law."

I actually reckon you've missed a far more interesting problem... Are you telling me that the cops came a knocking because you implied that you were 5km from home on a facebook page? I'd like to think there is a back story there. I'd be very concerned if the coppers were monitoring my fb page as survalence to ensure we are all complying with covid rules.

Mollis

20 July 2015
I can assure you that is exactly the context of the call. A paper screen shot of a FB post of me apparently out of my 5km zone. Alerted by a member of the public apparently and clearly someone within my friend group on FB.

Hence my slant on the 'long arm of the law' over reaching itself.

Zero back story other than that and no furhter action taken other than the call to my house and them asking me to confirm if I was out of my 5km zone.

Atticus

6 February 2019
A paper screen shot of a FB post of me apparently out of my 5km zone. Alerted by a member of the public apparently and clearly someone within my friend group on FB.
They were following up on a report... Good to see them doing their job, particularly if the posts in question were part of a broader arrangement to attend an unauthorized gathering such as a protest.

Mollis

20 July 2015
Spoken like a true communist…!
Your state will tell you what you can post on your social media 😂😂

Tool….🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Ozwarlock67

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah - bit of a stretch there with the assumption Atticus.
But i don't see the coppers openning an unlocked door being an abuse of their role as police, especially when their intention was to ensure you were at home in accordance with the plague rules.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Police have been active in monitoring any activity or reports of activity that seriously contravene current health orders, particularly protest events...

Bottom line is, if a person is going to put thier family & community at risk & is stupid enough to go on SM with evidence of it then that this is what may happen.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Agreed, ditto with knocking / opening a door. But your assumption that this person had posted that their intention was "part of a broader arrangement to attend an unauthorized gathering such as a protest" is a bit of a stretch...