VIC Can my employer decide to keep a deposit from my pay undiscussed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

deepgan

19 December 2021
I don’t want to work with them anymore . My fair share is what I want from them . Could you help me out with a written statement that I should send to them that states where they are wrong and would send the money asap . PleAse

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Perhaps, if they want to pretend that your are a contractor,
then treat them like a customer who has not paid a bill.

deepgan

19 December 2021
"You are on notice to pay me $X. Should you not pay me before Christmas I will likely seek legal advice, and that is in neither of our interests."

I agree sham contracting is a possibility, but at a practical level you may lose your job if you seek to enforce your rights as an employee. What is more important to you - working (albeit temporarily till you find alternative work)? or being paid according to the award?

Suggest you keep working till you find alternative employment then go after what is owed.
I don’t want to work with them anymore . My fair share is what I want from them . Could you help me out with a written statement that I should send to them that states where they are wrong and would send the money asap . PleAse

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Could you help me out with a written statement that I should send to them that states where they are wrong and would send the money asap

Your request is beyond the scope of what is done in an online forum. You can contact me through my signature, or any other lawyer who handles employment law.

Reactions: Tim W