QLD Is This Pay Cut Legal Under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
28 December 2018
I resigned from my job 3 months ago because a higher paying offer came up. My company offered to match the pay. I took the offer, signed a new employment contract and stayed onboard. Now, I have had a pay review letter stating they have cut my pay 6k a year.

I am paid per hour as a field service technician... Is it legal for them to do this under employment law given the fact that they knowingly have destroyed my opportunity with this other company's offer?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Seems unlikely, but you'd need a lawyer to look at your new employment contract to get a more accurate idea.

The employer may have snuck a term into the new agreement giving them this ability. But the letter may be seen as a 'constructive dismissal' if you act reasonably soon, else you have been deemed to accept the alteration. I'd suggest you see a lawyer if you want to leave your job as a result of this letter, or want to insist on the pre $6K loss pay staying in place.

Good luck.