NSW Can I Legally Stop Contributing Financially Until Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ellie_2017

15 December 2017
I'm in the process of preparing my exit plan and have an appointment in Jan for some legal advice. However I'm anxious to get an idea of what I should or shouldn't do.

The reality is that for me to leave I will need to stop contributing financially to the household expenses (especially the mortgage), as in have my wage deposited into a separate account so that I can afford to rent etc until such time as we achieve some form of property settlement.

Can I legally do this as I have no other way of being able to survive and don't want to stay in the family home?

Thanks everyone.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so assuming no family violence and no kids, since you didn't mention kids or violence... - you simply no longer want to be married to the fella. Yep, of course you can stop paying your share of stuff.
Good idea? probably not... Is he entitled to be upset when you tell him you want to keep living there for fee until you save up enough money to leave.... So what you're suggesting is likely to cause a fair bit of mis-trust between you and him moving forward.