QLD Can I Have Loyalty Points Loopholes Assessed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dad

7 April 2017
Is there a law against exploiting loopholes ( or perceived loop holes ) in incentives offered with shopping and credit cards for loyalty points? I spend the money (shopping) and get the points then do it again and again using the loop hole in the process while reaching the spend limit required for the points.

Politicians seem to be in the news for making the most of their " entitlements " and free helicopter rides on the public purse without any real damage done for pushing their entitlement limits and moving to and living somewhere that allows for them to make claims on otherwise inaccessible payments and apparently its legal to do so.

Finding a way to make recurring loyalty points from a system that is supported and assisted by the company offering this then does this represent a valid way to get ahead and bank more points or does it represent misuse or fraud or just innovation and ingenuity?

Also can I, for example, get a legal opinion in place as insurance to protect against any recourse if I bank a lot of points and make use of them? In other words, have the loop hole assessed without disclosing the process and address this if approached to do so by the vendor?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'd check if they have any sort of 'fair play' conditions. If they don't, and you're in compliance with the conditions of use, it's up to them to figure it out. You might want to use them before they catch on, however, as they're likely to wipe your points and let you argue for them.

As for an opinion, it's not going to mean anything. You can be sure they'll get a legal opinion to throw straight back in your face.

You could get a declaration from a court, and it's simply a matter of them changing their conditions of use.

Dad

7 April 2017
I'd check if they have any sort of 'fair play' conditions. If they don't, and you're in compliance with the conditions of use, it's up to them to figure it out. You might want to use them before they catch on, however, as they're likely to wipe your points and let you argue for them.

As for an opinion, it's not going to mean anything. You can be sure they'll get a legal opinion to throw straight back in your face.

You could get a declaration from a court, and it's simply a matter of them changing their conditions of use.
most appreciate your input on this I was looking for status of the opportunity, and options to consider and you have provided both Thank you and very best regards If or when I need a lawyer you will be my first port of call .