VIC Can I Defend Myself Against an Intervention Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jace

5 January 2016
Melbourne
I have a clean record. I haven't done anything at any time that has created a criminal record for me.

My ex-girlfriend has now filed for an intervention order against me, claiming that during our relationship (which lasted 22 months, and ended 6th October 2011), I physically and sexually abused her. I never did this, and I'm not the sort of person who would do this.

I have recently been considering a career with Victoria Police. If an intervention order is granted against me, using the information above, I am assuming my career plans will need to change?

I'm also wondering (as I'm not entirely familiar with the process), will I have the opportunity to defend myself against an intervention order being granted? And if the things she is claiming are from such a long time ago, and they never happened in the first place, what sort of chances are there that it would be granted?

Also wondering if she can be done for giving a false statement to the police, as her application for the intervention order?

Ponala

10 February 2015
You can defend an IVO application. Due to the legislation you won't be allowed to cross examine the applicant personally, so will need a lawyer to represent you.

IVO outcomes are determined on the 'balance of probabilities'.

Highly unlikely about the false statement, very rarely happens. If you win at court be happy with that.