Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Get peace of mind with confidential and personalised legal advice today. Visit LawTap to find a lawyer and book an appointment instantly. Some lawyers even offer a free first consultation.

QLD Can Debt be Waived Due to Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Natasha755, 28 December 2016.

1. Natasha755

Natasha755 Member

In January this year I declared bankruptcy. September this year, after my partner and I broke up, I applied for FTB and the ATO must of reassessed my income for financial year ending 2015. I received a tax debt of $1500. Obviously this debt was not known at my time of filing for bankruptcy and if it was known, I would've included in my bankruptcy application.

My question is, can this debt be waived seeing as it was accrued prior to filing for bankruptcy? Who do I call? The ATO or AFSA?

Thanks

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Hi Natasha755,

Debts incurred before your bankruptcy begins are still provable in (or cleared by) your bankruptcy. I would inform your trustee in bankruptcy about the debt asap and get advice from him or her. I would think that notwithstanding that you received it late, if it was incurred before the bankruptcy commenced it would be provable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...