QLD Personal and company debt

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bald1974

28 July 2018
hi,

About 4 years ago i was the director of my company and sold my business on going on concern.

My company was deregistered and i believe this sale resulted capital gain tax.
I have also have debt to my personal credit card and business overdraft which i believe i was a guarantor.

I offered lump sum payment to my creditors which wont be accepted i think.

The debt is unmanageable and occured so much interest.

I know i have 2 years for my debts to be statue barred..

So my questions are;

1) if I declare bankruptcy, will i be liable personally for any capital gain tax ATO may issue in the future due to sold of my business or I should also declare my company bankrupt in order to avoid ATO capital gain tax debt for my company( it has been deregistered for 3 years now)

2) i want to know legally which way would be quicker to get on the my feet again.
Wait another 2 years and see if my creditors will get judgement against me and then declare bankruptcy or just declare bankruptcy now.
Many thanks in advance

Colin123

20 September 2019
Melbourne
www.loansaver.com.au
HI Waalex, it seems there’s insufficient information to really provide a direction related to your tax and other debts.
- What assets do you have?
- are the assets in joint names? Individual, company.
- You say you sold the company, yet indicate declare the company bankrupt? FYI there’s no company bankruptcy however see some information of other company insolvency.
- what are your personal debts?
- what work do you do now? Employed, self employed?
There’s some information on the various forms of insolvency on my website.

Here’s also the tax debt page - though that page is related to loans to pay tax debt, depending on your situation it may not be practice.
However, to really know would require more detail.

I would have advised business turnaround or liquidation to relieve the debts, however the business has been sold.
Regards
Colin

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I offered lump sum payment to my creditors which wont be accepted i think.
How long ago was this offer made and when was the last correspondence from you in regard to these debts?