Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW "Brief Submissions to a Magistrate" - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by littlehelpplease, 17 June 2015.

  1. littlehelpplease

    littlehelpplease Active Member

    27 September 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hello all,

    I am about halfway through my family court proceedings, interim orders have been made and we were ordered to have mediation for property settlement which we reached an agreement.

    I have just had my legal aid funding canceled because I have started working again but can't afford a lawyer so I will be self representing.

    In the interim orders the magistrate said that he would accept "brief submissions" re visitation or custody of children.

    My question is, how do I submit the information I wish too?

    Do my claims and evidence need to be sworn by a jp and presented before the court date or do I talk to the magistrate about it on the day?
  2. Anubis

    Anubis Well-Known Member

    6 May 2015
    Likes Received:
    It is so, so worth paying a lawyer to do those submissions. There is a probono scheme. There are also lawyers that may do a payment plan. Especially re the children. Self reps rarely do as well and can make the proceedings drag out.

    Good luck

Share This Page