VIC Bought Car from Mother-in-law - Can I Get My Money Back?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Deemohi

7 May 2016
I have been buying a car off my mother-in-law for the past 3 years. About a year ago, her son and I broke up and things are beginning to sour. She suggested that I should maybe give the car back if I'm having trouble financially. That's fine I'm happy to get another car from elsewhere. Can I ask for my money back and do I have to give her compensation for letting me use it?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ouch, messy. Whose name is the car registered in? How much do you owe? How much have you paid?

If it is a verbal agreement then forget court and just be sensible in coming to an arrangement. Look it ain't gonna go down nicely which ever way you go.

Victoria S

9 April 2014
In the absence of a clear written agreement which sets out your rights, there is no real clear cut legal principal here that says that you are obliged to compensate her for using the vehicle. If you have contracted to purchase a vehicle, then the only way you can avoid that contract is by mutual agreement, unless you want to forfeit what you have paid. If you are both willing to call it quits then its really up to you both to negotiate a fair compromise on what should be paid, as sammy01 has pointed out.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
How much do you owe her? Perhaps obtain a loan independently and pay her out in exchange for keeping the car.