Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Bought Car from Mother-in-law - Can I Get My Money Back?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Deemohi, 8 May 2016.

  1. Deemohi

    Deemohi Member

    7 May 2016
    Likes Received:
    I have been buying a car off my mother-in-law for the past 3 years. About a year ago, her son and I broke up and things are beginning to sour. She suggested that I should maybe give the car back if I'm having trouble financially. That's fine I'm happy to get another car from elsewhere. Can I ask for my money back and do I have to give her compensation for letting me use it?
  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Ouch, messy. Whose name is the car registered in? How much do you owe? How much have you paid?

    If it is a verbal agreement then forget court and just be sensible in coming to an arrangement. Look it ain't gonna go down nicely which ever way you go.
  3. Victoria S

    Victoria S Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    In the absence of a clear written agreement which sets out your rights, there is no real clear cut legal principal here that says that you are obliged to compensate her for using the vehicle. If you have contracted to purchase a vehicle, then the only way you can avoid that contract is by mutual agreement, unless you want to forfeit what you have paid. If you are both willing to call it quits then its really up to you both to negotiate a fair compromise on what should be paid, as sammy01 has pointed out.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ozwarlock67

    Ozwarlock67 Well-Known Member

    16 April 2015
    Likes Received:
    How much do you owe her? Perhaps obtain a loan independently and pay her out in exchange for keeping the car.

Share This Page