NSW Bought Faulty Ford Ranger from Dealer - Seek Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mark Snell

11 August 2015
On April 16 2015 I bought a used 2012 Ford Ranger from a Ford Dealer. On the 10th of July the transmission failed and the car went into limp mode. I then organized for the car to be towed back to the dealer $350. The dealer did not have a loan car for me.

The car was with the dealer for 8 days before they told me that it would need a gearbox replacement. 3 weeks went by and finally they put a new gearbox in the car. They have just told me today, August 11 that the new gearbox failed and that they have ordered another box which will arrive hopefully this week.

So after 5 weeks without my car what options do I have? Can I get a refund from the dealer? Should I be seeking compensation for the inconvenience, car rental costs, etc

Thanks for any assistance

Tracy B

Well-Known Member
24 December 2014
Hi Mark,

Under Australian Consumer Law, they are likely to fix the car or offer you a replacement at no extra cost. They appear to be doing this (i.e. fixing the car). However, they may not be required to provide you with a temporary replacement car during this time. You are best to contact Fair Trading NSW about this.

Fair Trading will not be able to help you get any compensation. To do this, you will need to apply to NCAT. They have an online application system and you will get a hearing within 6 weeks of lodging (comparatively speedy). However, I would recommend you speak with a lawyer about the merits of your case. Preferably someone who is experienced in car sales and the Australian Consumer Law. You can start finding a lawyer here: Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You - LawAnswers.com.au.