VIC Australian work remotely from overseas for an Australian company for extended periods

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Countryboy

12 June 2021
I am an Australian who has been working for an Australian company in Melbourne since 2009.
After the pandemic, I was allowed to come back home and continue to work remotely from there for four months.
Currently due to personal issues, I am asking the permission to go back and work from Vietnam again.

I would like to know if there is any taxation/legal issue for myself or my employer if they allow me to work remotely from Vietnam for extended periods in a financial year.
It is work from anywhere basically. I plan to come back to the office in Melbourne every now and then.
It is the same job for the same company and I am still filing tax return here in Australia.

Thank you.

Karen Karen

4 September 2022
Hi. I have looked into the issue as a private person. If you have a residence in Australia you will be an Australian resident for tax purposes and even though you work for an overseas country, you will have to pay income tax in Australia at the same rates as if you were working for an Australian company. It is pretty difficult to establish non-residency for Australian tax purposes and you effectively have to show that you have not maintained an Australian residence for at least two years. Even if you actually live overseas, you will not be non-resident for tax purposes if you have a house here and if you keep your personal stuff such as clothes and other possessions here. There are other indicators as well. You can look this up on www.ato.gov.au. There is a questionnaire you can do for yourself (not revealing who you are) to see what the ATO thinks of your living arrangements. There are also a multitude of tax determinations and decisions which reveal how the ATO will look at your circumstances.