WA Phone Expenses Reimbursement From Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Michael Berry

10 September 2014
Hi all,

I have a question regarding my company using my personal phone number as a business contact and supplying it to clients.

My company never asked my permission to use my personal phone number as a business contact for our clients but have printed it on business cards and attached it to business emails. This would not have been an issue to me except that I have issues getting the company to reimburse my phone bills which is usually 80% business costs. (The company policy states business calls/texts/internet will be reimbursed and personal calls within reason). I work in very remote locations and internationally which costs substantially more in calls/texts and internet yet I am expected to keep the company updated daily.

Under employment law, is my company allowed to use my personal phone number provided I agree. Furthermore is there any legal requirements for them to cover this expense. (They flatly refuse to supply me with a work phone).

Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What is in your employment contract?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Then it becomes an issue of negotiation with your employer. You have many factors to consider and how important each of those are to you. Also find out how other employees have their call expenses/numbers treated by the employer to see if you have been discriminated against.

You have a right to not use your private number for work purposes if that is what you want.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
If you have an issue whereby your employer agreed, or gave you the impression, that they would pay your work phone bill for you, or reimburse you, contact the Fair Work Ombudsman. They may refer you to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman because it involves a telecommunications matter, but tell them that it is an employment issue. You can also give the TIO a call and enquire.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Further, your employer should not be giving out your personal number to clients without your permission. If this happened, there has been a privacy breach and you can speak with the Fair Work Ombudsman or the Privacy Commissioner: Office of Information Commissioner WA.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
I have been in a similar situation.
I would only use my phone to receive work calls until you employer agrees to pay you their share or provide you with a phone.
If you miss a call text them to call you back(especially your manager). If questioned just explain its you private phone and you need to manage costs.

Peoples behaviour improves when on show ;)