WA Discriminatory changes to work conditions

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Guin261

21 April 2020
Hoping someone can help with some basic advice here.

I have a condition caused by my current employer. I have medical advice that it is "strongly advised" that I am permitted to work remotely for 2 days a week to help with this condition (and have been WFH with no problem for the same company for over 7 years). Towards the end of 2019, my condition was exacerbated greatly by management stupidity, and I chose to take stress leave. While on stress leave, my employer has "assessed" my role and deemed it is not possible to do the job remotely. This feels like they are pushing me out of my job and I am wondering if this is legal. This is a government role if that matters.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unfair, but likely something they can do.

Guin261

21 April 2020
Unfair, but likely something they can do.

It has been a real eye opener to many aspects of societies facade that makes us all believe we will be helped and that we are valued. Certainly in light of this virus.

The most jarring realisation, that the concern and support of the medical and mental health professions can carry you all the way to the threshold of the law. There you will find that as an employee, you can be treated like garbage and completely broken down by your boss or manager, with complete impunity and freedom of repercussion. Because I failed to withstand the barrage of abuse, the problem is squarely mine and mine alone.

The well written paragraphs regarding mental health support littering the pages of government policy and job postings, are utter lies.

WiserNow

10 September 2014
I agree 110%

Look after your mental health. It is very important and impacts your life. Employers, especially public sector, care is low and bullying is high.

Also look up retirement on ill health.

Be very very careful what you disclose to employer and work colleagues - even if you think they are some you trust . Lawyer once said HR is not ur friend. Very true.

Take care of your health. Public sector in WA have been given 20 days leave for COVID reasons.