VIC Australian Consumer Law - Shop Refused to Gift Refund

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BennyWood1

22 February 2017
Hey there,

I recently went to a store to buy a product which cost $500. The store did not have stock in this product and recommended for me to preorder one for when the next batch came in. They also said to try my luck at another store of theirs.

I went to this store and they fortunately had stock so I bought this and attempted to claim it on my preorder. They did not accept this and instead refunded my preorder as a gift voucher (which I really did not want at this store). Are they allowed to do this under Australian Consumer Law? What are my options of getting a cash refund for this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Benny,

Check the company's terms and conditions on their website. They may have a policy of no cash refunds, that said if you push the matter I would be surprised if they didn't give you cash. Go back to the store you put the pre-order on and try reasoning with them. I mean come on you just spent $500 with the chain. Give a go and let us know how it goes.