SA Australian Consumer Law - Can I Get Refund or Replacement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gaurav

9 March 2017
HI,

I have just purchased a used car from a dealer, along with 5 years warranty. From day 1, there is some problem with the car and today, the dealer's mechanic spent a couple of hours to check the issue but he was unsuccessful.

They have kept the car and requested for 3-4 days time to fix the car. What are my options under Australian Consumer Law? Can I ask for money refund or some other car with same value? I paid 12k to the dealer. I am stressed because of this. Please help me.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

You definitely have guarantees under Australian Consumer Law. The dealer has asked for a reasonable amount of time so I don't think you can ask for a refund just yet. But you are following the right process. Give them their chance to fix it.

You have a really good warranty period so you have no problem there. If they take too long they should be providing you with another car to use.

This Blog post will give you some more answers: Lemon Car? What You Can Do Under Australian Consumer Law - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au