VIC Engine Failure - Get a Refund Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bobby Kim

7 April 2016
Hi.

Can I ask and get refund under below situation?

I bought a used car from dealership under 3months + a 3-year guarantee just before Easter (2010 model SUV with 75,000km odo).

After driving only 100 km the engine light turned on, so brought the car to the dealer. They checked it out at the workshop and they told me the timing chain needed to be replaced, which may take 4-5 days and this keeps getting delayed.

It was okay, but when I called today whether I could pick up my car, the dealer told they are now changing the engine with another second-hand. If I knew this car has this kind of serious deficiencies, I would never have bought this one.

I didn't and don't want to the car with engine/transmission changed from the original one. And they want me to pick it up next week (again 4-5 more days), so it will take almost 2 weeks and I'd better get a refund and find another car.

It looks like a very critical car defect since the engine is the main part of the car.

Can I ask for a refund from the dealer and how can I do this under Australian Consumer Law?

Please help.

Gilly

1 September 2016
Hi.

Can I ask and get refund under below situation?

I bought a used car from dealership under 3months + a 3-year guarantee just before Easter (2010 model SUV with 75,000km odo).

After driving only 100 km the engine light turned on, so brought the car to the dealer. They checked it out at the workshop and they told me the timing chain needed to be replaced, which may take 4-5 days and this keeps getting delayed.

It was okay, but when I called today whether I could pick up my car, the dealer told they are now changing the engine with another second-hand. If I knew this car has this kind of serious deficiencies, I would never have bought this one.

I didn't and don't want to the car with engine/transmission changed from the original one. And they want me to pick it up next week (again 4-5 more days), so it will take almost 2 weeks and I'd better get a refund and find another car.

It looks like a very critical car defect since the engine is the main part of the car.

Can I ask for a refund from the dealer and how can I do this under Australian Consumer Law?

Please help.
Was this a Volkswagen?