NSW Assault and Third Party Property Damage

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
5 June 2015
Hi, I have to attend court at the end of this month on charges of minor assault and third party property damage worth $2000.

I'm just wondering, do I have to attend court if I plead guilty to the charges and just receive the verdict from the court, or can I not attend or have someone liaise for me? I also would like an opinion as to what I could be facing.

Thank you.

S

Sophea

Hi Joshua,

It is possible to enter a guilty plea in writing prior to your court date, which means that you won't have to attend in person. You can read about how to do it here: http://www.lawassist.lawaccess.nsw....y_fine/lawassist_pleading_guilty_writing.html

However, bear in mind that the judge will sentence you in your absence and you will not be available to answer any questions the judge may have or to defend yourself to mitigate or lessen your sentence.

If you appear, you are able to give an explanation for why you committed the offence and why you should receive a lesser sentence, submit any character references you may have and point out for example that these were isolated events and that you have no prior record. You can also put a good face to the name, simply turning up in court in a suit and speaking respectfully to the judge can impact how you are sentenced.

If you do not submit a pleading in writing prior to the court date it is important that you attend court at the required time, as not turning up at all without pleading can lead to further charges.

Reactions: Joshua Millard
5 June 2015
Hi Joshua,

It is possible to enter a guilty plea in writing prior to your court date, which means that you won't have to attend in person. You can read about how to do it here: http://www.lawassist.lawaccess.nsw....y_fine/lawassist_pleading_guilty_writing.html

However, bear in mind that the judge will sentence you in your absence and you will not be available to answer any questions the judge may have or to defend yourself to mitigate or lessen your sentence.

If you appear, you are able to give an explanation for why you committed the offence and why you should receive a lesser sentence, submit any character references you may have and point out for example that these were isolated events and that you have no prior record. You can also put a good face to the name, simply turning up in court in a suit and speaking respectfully to the judge can impact how you are sentenced.

If you do not submit a pleading in writing prior to the court date it is important that you attend court at the required time, as not turning up at all without pleading can lead to further charges.

Thank you very much, you have been a great help :)