QLD Are there any legal protections for me regarding the conduct of my real estate agent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Beau Brown

20 October 2022
I am selling my home through an exclusive appointment with a Brisbane real estate agent.
I have experienced very poor conduct from the agent and staff.
It’s been a difficult and frustrating process and to show where the issues lie - I have already had the principal agent and his supporting agent apologise separately to me over the very poor communication from them and my experience with them for the first open home.
However, the conduct of the principal of the agency, I believe is unacceptable - and I am not sure what avenues I have regarding how or where to complain about his conduct or ensure my rights regarding how my property is sold are respected.
The property has not been performing well and I have attempted to discuss with the agent options to take the property off the market, or revise the campaign. The agent refuses to listen to my concerns or want to discuss other options, and he will not tell me what happens on auction day if there are no registered bidders. On two occasions he has spoken to me in an aggressive and threatening manner. He has told me that I am the most difficult customer he’s ever had, that I know nothing about selling property and that he is not someone I want to get on the wrong side of.
After one open home he told me there was definitely one interested buyer which he was going to get a written offer from. I waited nearly 2.5 days before he called me back and only when I asked directly would he tell me what had happened regarding that prospective buyer.
I have written to his supporting agent giving 30 days notice of ending the exclusive appointment, allowing for the 60 stipulated in the contract agreement, and I have had nothing in response from them 5 days post the correspondence.
I am tired of dealing with his behaviour and treatment of me.
Help… what can and should I do?