NSW Applying Convictions To Be Cleared.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pianist

3 July 2020
Hello, I would really appreciate if any lawyer can assist with my question:

I want to apply through NSW Offices for my minor convictions to be cleared when 10 years have passed since my last offence because medical evidence regarding my mental health back then during the time of those convictions has become apparent through some intense therapy over the past year.

If it is successful (and if I do not have any further convictions), would having my offences successfully 'cleared on medical health evidence' remove those spent convictions so that they do not appear in those special exceptions where spent convictions must be revealed such as at a court before a magistrate, applying for certain jobs or joining the military/becoming a firefighter? Or will the spent convictions still be revealed in these circumstances? If they're still revealed in these special circumstances, would they be changed in any way?

Many thanks for any feedback anyone can give.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What do you want to do, that makes you need this to happen?

Pianist

3 July 2020
Hello Tim, thankyou for your response, I am not ready for these things now but I am thinking into the future atleast 5-10 years here: I'd like to travel to the US/UK or Germany to either work or study, I'd like to study either music, finance or mathematics/statistic, I have taught piano in the past I could resume that at some point when I'm ready, or I could perform and have to travel to many different countries. I could become a music teacher which may involve teaching children. As I am starting to gain control over my mental health and my physical health (I'm mobidly obese) and things are improving bit by bit. Because of my sexuality if I find a partner one day we might decide to adopt, that could become an issue, even the mental health is an issue in itself but one issue is better than two.

I don't know exactly what I want to do in the future but I have given you some possible paths and I don't want to find myself in a situation where I'm doing well at something and then am not allowed to continue or progress because of 4 minor criminal offences I did while I was driving a taxi and unknowingly at the time having psychotic episodes aggravated by being a victim of a serious crime (an armed robbery/extortion/death threat/hostage situation). I pulled 3 external mirrors off cars and keyed a car leading to 4 convictions of malicious damage.

As for the immediate future I'd like to go on a holiday to the US after Covid 19 calms down and things are back to normal. (if they ever do go back to normal)
I might even try to find a job teaching at a private music school but you see they may require a working with children check so I might not be able to do that anytime too soon.

I spoke with a lawyer earlier today who I will not name for privacy reasons, the lawyer said it's possible to clear/expunge a criminal record after the convictions become spent in 10 years after the most recent conviction. The lawyer said it's not a common practice but it's possible to do especially with my particular mental health evidence/diagnosis.

Thankyou so much for your help.