NSW AGM - Any Recourse on Body Corporate and Strata Issues?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CurlyCin

9 October 2016
I would like to know what rights a lot owner has.

We have been told that a special Levi of $60,000 dollars needs to be paid by February 2017 for remedial works to our block which I understand need to be done, but I have not received a scope of works, only 3 quotes 1 week before the AGM.

I was told because I did not go to the 2015 AGM, I don't get a scope of works. They hold these meetings at 10.00am and myself and others work.

So what I am asking is, is there anyway this motion can be stopped so we all have a say in what we are getting and are we allowed to get quotes as I am a builder project manager and I feel it is way over priced.

Thank you for your time.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Dig out your OC rules.
2. Call a special extraordinary meeting following the rules. And nominate your preferred time/date.
3. Put your case to the members.

CurlyCin

9 October 2016
I think I need 25% of lot owners to agree with me to call the meeting and I don't know their names or numbers and the strata won't give them to me.

Thanks for helping me Rod but I just can't believe as owners, we don't get a say in all of this. I think something has to change.

Cheers

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
and the strata want give them to me.

Assuming here you meant they 'will not'.

If it is a Strata Scheme, suggest you remind them that it is law in NSW that you may inspect the strata roll, and that if they fail to allow to do so they are breaking the law and can be fined 2 penalty units. Keep in mind they can charge a fee for this service.

It really isn't much different to having a share register for companies.