VIC Advised of Incorrect Jurisdiction - Grounds for Dismissing Speeding Fines?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

litesource

5 June 2015
I am contesting a speeding fine and went to court yesterday for the first mention. After a case conference where the cop basically told me I was wasting my time, I said I wanted to take it to a hearing. As the clerk could only organize an adjournment for another mention, I went back to the prosecuting cop for a hearing date and he discovered they had listed the wrong jurisdiction, i.e. it should be Moorabbin Magistrates Court and not Melbourne Magistrates Court, so yesterday was a complete waste of my time due to their mistake.

Is this grounds for having the speeding fines matter dismissed and if so, who would I apply to?

Ponala

10 February 2015
No, not grounds for dismissal. It is only administrative to where it should be listed (either court closest to where offence occurred or where the accused lives). Not a fatal error.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Litesource,

Not a ground for having the speeding fine dismissed. But is a ground for having any summary judgement orders set aside for the reason that you were given the wrong court. Which means, you will likely have your matter heard again in the correct Magistrate's court.