QLD Wrongfully Accused of Theft - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumof5

18 December 2016
I was taken into police beat in a shopping centre yesterday and accused of stealing $344 worth of stuff over 12 months ago. I was mortified; they then issued me with a notice to appear and a notice to supply DNA.

By this stage, I was completely shattered and dumbfounded.

Today I went to the police station to ask how this is possible and was treated like a criminal, told I needed to get a DNA testing or I would be arrested. I was in tears, not understanding any of this. I have come home humiliated about the whole process of photos and fingerprints and DNA.

Can anyone offer any kind of help on this theft matter? I really don't know what to do. I haven't taken anything from the shops unpaid.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do not talk to the police. If they question you, except for name and address, do not answer.

What is the court date in the notice?

I agree it is stressful, but ignore it for time being and enjoy Christmas. You'll have time to address the accusation later.

Reactions: Mumof5

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
BTW, if you intend to plead not guilty, the first court date will only take your plea of not guilty and schedule a new date.

Ask to see the QP9 before your first court date and after the first court appearance then ask for the full police brief. You'll then know what evidence they intend to use.

Reactions: Mumof5

Mumof5

18 December 2016
Do not talk to the police. If they question you, except for name and address, do not answer.

What is the court date in the notice?

I agree it is stressful, but ignore it for time being and enjoy Christmas. You'll have time to address the accusation later.
January 12