VIC Help After Accidental Shoplifting?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 23378

Hi there

I got caught accidentally having a few items in my shopping bag, without scanning them through! They took me at the back, interrogated me and even though I was explaining since I was dealing with a lot of personal issues that it was an unintentional mistake and was willing to pay for the item $27.

They called the police, not sure why, didn’t charge me with shoplifting and they let me go but I’m still confused regarding my reputation as they took my photo ID, both the security and police! Any help will be appreciated!

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Presumably you will be charged with theft which does require proof of dishonesty. Once you receive the paperwork probably best to seek legal advice.

D

Deleted member 23378

Presumably you will be charged with theft which does require proof of dishonesty. Once you receive the paperwork probably best to seek legal advice.
No, the police said to me that they are not charges!

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If no charges then you are correct. If charged then it will be pending until finaised.

The police (& the store) will keep your info for the future, this was a warning and giving you a chance. If you shoplift again and caught, then most properly you will be charged and a get a criminal record.

D

Deleted member 23378

Thank you for that! Do you know how long my details stay with the store and the police as my Id was photographed via a phone? (Security and police)
Thank you

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Thank you for that! Do you know how long my details stay with the store and the police as my Id was photographed via a phone? (Security and police)
Thank you
Most properly for long time, for police, it stays on their record, with the digital age now, it can be kept for ever and it does not take lot of resources (this is my opinion).