VIC When will Case Officer Make a Decision on 457 Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jyotika

20 July 2015
Hi sir/mam,

I have spouse dependent 457 visa. We applied a nomination at the end of December 2016. After that, my partner left his job where he got his nomination couple of weeks ago. My question is that when will our case officer make a decision on our visa? And how will they make our visa decision?

I mean, what point of view will they take to make a decision - like is it a positive or negative view?

In between, what if I want to visit India - can I visit? If I'm in India while our case officer has made a decision, will I lose my visa permanently or what?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jyotika,

A 457 visa is an employer sponsored visa. If your partner is no longer employed by the sponsoring employer he is no longer sponsored. That means you are no longer sponsored. I think that will be viewed as negative by the case officer.

As with your travel home, it's probably more important for your partner to focus on finding a new sponsor (employer). Otherwise your travel should be as your existing visa allows.

Jyotika

20 July 2015
Hi Jyotika,

A 457 visa is an employer sponsored visa. If your partner is no longer employed by the sponsoring employer he is no longer sponsored. That means you are no longer sponsored. I think that will be viewed as negative by the case officer.

As with your travel home, it's probably more important for your partner to focus on finding a new sponsor (employer). Otherwise your travel should be as your existing visa allows.
Hi Lance

Thanks for your reply.

One more question:

How long will the case officer take to make a decision? Do you have any idea about it?

So I can visit to India before they come and make a decision? If I'm in India and they already make a decision in the negative, then also my partner will have to leave this country? permanenly?

Thanks

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jyotika,

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to that, I would just be guessing. The case officer could take shorter or longer depending on the complexity of your application and their work load. And I don't know if a rejected application results in deportation.

In theory the case officer would tell you what you can do such as a Migration review tribunal and bridging visa's. It would be best to call the department to ask for guidance directly.