NSW How to Get AVO from Daughter Taken Off?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sengiy00

17 October 2014
I would love to give the full story of what happened on the day (but it is a bit long).

My mother (81 years of age) called me and said she was worn out and I needed to get my daughter home. This is not an easy thing as she is 15 and will not just do as she is told. When I went there, she said she was not coming and her friends are going over and they are all sleeping.

We argued for a while and then I tried to grab her and drag her out. She was running away. I said I would call the police. She said 'Do it - I will make it look really bad for you'. She had threatened to call the police and make up stories before as she wanted me to stop interfering in her life (trying to stop her drinking, smoking and taking drugs). She spat at me a couple of times.

I managed to catch her and the way I grabbed her, it was in sort of a headlock. I then released that grip after about 1 or 2 seconds and walked her down the back to give her a lecture. Cigarettes fell out of her pocket and I picked them up. Now I had the cigarettes she did whatever I wanted. I said to her to come in and talk. I think I may have done wrong here was how I grabbed her initially. I did not hurt her though (although she lied about it and said I choked her).

When we were inside, I told her she can't stay after what had gone on. I also told her after the last packet of cigarettes I would crush the next packet. I crushed up the cigarettes and she went nuts. Said she hated me for that and made several threats. She is a bully and often makes threats so I can't remember exactly what she said that time. She went out the back and when I followed her she was yelling at me and swearing.

My mother came out and said she had to go. I tried to grab her again and she was running around some equipment out the back and ran into my mother knocking her over. I grabbed her again and she started kicking and resisting. She fell over and she was right near my mother so I dragged her about 5 metres away So she did not hurt mum.

After I helped mum up I looked at my daughter and she had a slightly bleeding mouth and a scratch on her face. She was smiling at me and said she was going to ruin my life and I was dead to her. I ended up leaving her there as my mother (who my daughter gave a nervous breakdown to 6 months ago) was not sounding well. She did not want my daughter there but also did not want me to call the police as she did not want her to get in trouble.

Next thing I know my other daughter (10-year-old) messaged me to say the police were there. I was then charged. She said I choked her and hit her.

We are talking again but she is a very selfish kid. Only wants to see me when she wants money. My avo allows us to still live together etc but I have had to take her to my parents and leave her there as she threatened on Monday to punch herself in the head a few times and tell police I hit her. My wife also heard her say that and said to get her out of our house.

She likes it at my parents because they cannot say no to her and she can pressure them to do anything for her.

She had two friends over when it happened. One of them does not like me as I had told her she could not come to our house or go to my parents house anymore. The other one is not such a bad kid but she was pressured to back my daughter up by the other two. They concocted a story and went along with it.

I told police the truth. They were great but said they had to charge me. They said when I grabbed her the first time it was common assault. They said the second insistent was understandable but still charged me as there was a mark on my daughters face.

Since she has been staying at my parents house I have had 4 different neighbours in the street say my daughter is getting drunk and waking people in the early hours of the morning. One neighbour said the stress will kill my mother. She is also not going to school. They are too nice and will always give her somewhere to stay and money anytime. My mother still wants her out but she now can't stay here until this mess is sorted.

I think that's all so that's the long version.

Technically I think I did commit common assault with grabbing her in a headlock type hold to initially catch her.

Honestly I thought my mother was in danger of another breakdown. I also knew my daughter planned to drink and when she drinks she sometimes gets suicidal over there.

This all happened about two months ago. About 3 weeks ago she got drunk and laid on the road to try and kill herself. A truck nearly hit her. She was picked up by police and taken to hospital. She lied about what happened even though 4 people saw it.

She is getting some help now
For her mental issues and we do get along now as long as I don't try to tell her what to do.

So that's what happened.

Sorry for the long story.

Sengiy00

17 October 2014
I have videos of them begging her to go and saying they are sick and she swears at them and won't go. I could have pleaded guilty but under the circumstances I think I was justified.