NSW Young Person Fined by Police - Represent Myself in Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kaan Varol

12 October 2016
Hey everybody,

I'm a 17-year-old student (16 when the crime was committed) and currently started year 12. I was hit with a fine early July for travelling without a ticket ($50) and smoking on the train platform ($300). I was travelling from Newcastle to Sydney to work and I was going to miss my train. I intended to pay at my final stop, otherwise, I would be 1 hour late.

As I was waiting for a transfer train, I stupidly light up a cigarette and a few police officers confronted me. I tried to be respectful as possible to the officer, because this was my first time having run-ins with the law, but the officer gave me a $350 fine.

As a student working minimal hours, I cannot afford this fine and have sent in numerous reviews but were rejected. I stated in them that I was not given a warning/caution under the Young Offenders Act. My only options are now paying the $350 or going to court and representing myself.

My question is, would it be advised to represent myself in court? (I'm familiar with the court structure) And what outcome would I generally expect? Plus if you have any suggestions and comments.

Thank you for your time, and I do understand I did 'break the law' but I think it's unjust that I have to pay the same as an adult that has a full/part time job.

S

Sophea

You have no grounds to argue that you didn't commit the offences, so I think what you are after is a request for leniency. You can request a review of your penalty notice if you wish to seek leniency because there were special circumstances which contributed to the offence.

This is different to going to court. If you are lucky they may be lenient toward the $50 fare evasion fine since you had to jump on the train or miss it, but you still can't provide special circumstances which contributed to you lighting up.