NSW WWCC/AVO/DVO?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

throwaway1

23 August 2023
5 years ago my brother called the police during an argument and had an avo taken out on me. He was 16, I was 18. At the time I called legal aid who advised me to accept without fault to avoid all the court drama, we agreed that as I was studying economics it was unlikely I would need a WWCC so I accepted as it was the easiest thing at the time.

Things have changed and I now need to get a paid WWCC, what are my chances? I never breached the order nor have any other kind of criminal history.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Assuming no physical injuries, good, just be upfront and honest.

Reactions: throwaway1

throwaway1

23 August 2023
Assuming no physical injuries, good, just be upfront and honest.
Thanks. So you think they would likely do a risk assessment and determine the outcome from there? Do you have any advice around supporting documents or statements I should include if it comes to this?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
So you think they would likely do a risk assessment and determine the outcome from there?
I have no idea,

Do you have any advice around supporting documents or statements I should include if it comes to this?
Yes, wait patiently to see if any are requested and then deal with it at that time.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Chill. I'm a school teacher. Ex wife took an avo out on me and about 18 months later they brought in the WWCC. My kids were protected persons on the AVO. So i was more than a bit worried that I was going to lose my job. Needless to say. All good.