QLD Would you buy a used car from that person if you knew what they were like?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kwill61

20 February 2019
A car dealer sold a used vehicle to my wife and our son; at the time he was asked by my wife about the warranty on the engine and my wife was advised that he would put that in the contract.

When the car was taken away the fuel pump failed and the car needed to be towed back to him.

This happened again when I was driving it after it had purportedly been repaired..

It was towed back to the dealer again who this time got the repair made.

The car worked for a couple of months after this and then seized the engine unexpectedly.

My son had made sure if oil changes and was looking after the vehicle which was a 2003 Toyota Camry with around 230K on the clock

When my wife asked him to honour the warranty he had said he would give, he said "What warranty?" "Nothing in the contract." When she said "but you said that it would be warrantied" he said "Prove it"

What can I legally say and do to a) get a result from this or b) advise others to steer clear from this rip-off artist?