VIC Used car warranty

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emma07

22 May 2020
I just purchase a used car one week ago, it’s a 2015 model with low ks on the clock, the car dealer gave threw in one year warranty from a warranty place on top, sadly having problems with engine, my mechanic said will need a new engine, I rang up the car dealer and he said to bring it to his mechanic, if it does need a new engine am I entitled to refuse and get my money back or do I have to go through with the one year warranty claim, he also stated the 3 month warranty from him is overidden with the one year warranty, so it has to go through the warranty place not him?
Thanks

Atticus

6 February 2019
he also stated the 3 month warranty from him is overidden with the one year warranty, so it has to go through the warranty place not him?
Sounds a bit suspect to me..... on a 2015 model car with less than 160,000 Km the dealer MUST provide 3 months or 5,000 Km warranty...... Can't see why an 'on top of' warranty would diminish the dealers obligation to repair... That said, if the dealer is refusing to deal with you then you need to take your complaint to Consumer affairs Victoria >>>> Warranties on used cars

Show them the sales contract, tell them the issue & they should be able to advise or assist in mediating a solution.... Do it ASAP