NSW Dealer Sold Me a Faulty Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

loryn Wessel

1 July 2019
Hi, I bought a used car from a Dealer in St Mary's NSW on the 26/5/2019.

Just shy of 2 weeks later the car wouldn't start luckily a friend who is a mechanic was there and said it was the Starter Motor he gave the Starter Motor a wack with a jack pole and the car started. The next morning I rang the Dealer and he informed me to take it to my own Mechanic as it was under Warranty. I rang the said Warranty Company who confirmed this, then I rang my mechanic who was unable to look at the car till the following Tuesday. The car was taken to the mechanic on Tuesday and he agreed it was the Starter Motor Warranty covered this repair and I had my car back by the afternoon.

9 Days later, I had problems starting the car but eventually, the car started on my way home the car started to cough and splatter but continued to drive then all of a sudden I was losing compression and pulled over resulting in the car not starting again and had to have it towed home. The next morning I rang the Dealer again but the Manager was not available and would call me back, by the end of the day after many calls to the Dealer I rang the Warranty company they suggested I call the mechanic and have it re-towed to him to access the fault.

1 week later, I am told that the car's fuel (Diesel) compression filter has to be replaced and the injectors as well until this is repaired further damage to the vehicle is unknown with a cost of just over $4000 which Warranty might not cover. My thoughts are the car is not mechanically worthy as said by the Used Sales Person for a $14000 car. I want to return this vehicle and have my money refunded, not even owning the car for 1 month.

What is your opinion on this matter?

Regards