NSW Worth Putting My Name on Property Title?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

psylence

29 May 2015
My wife and I were together when she bought a house back in 2009 we moved in together but only her name got put on house and mortgage due to me being a full time uni student at the time. Took about a year before I started contributing with my full time wage.

Now we are married for 2 years, no kids and about to refinance the loan. Should I bother going through the hassle of putting my name on the title? Conveyencer quoted me around $500 for all fees.

I guess what I'm asking is in the unlikely event of a divorce is it worth me doing this now or wouldn't matter anyway in a family court?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The presence of both parties to a property deed has fairly limited impact on a property settlement following divorce. Both parties will be considered to have a joint interest in the house because of your marital status, so it would be included as part of the asset pool regardless.

S

Sophea

One other advantage to having your name on the title is that, if your wife was to die the property would automatically pass to you and not form part of the estate asset pool. However, if she is leaving everything to you anyway, then its probably not necessary.