VIC Workplace Bullying and Unfair Dismissal by Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Louise1979

12 September 2016
Hi,

I'm a Retail Pharmacy Manager. I've been working for the business for 8 years and had no previous warnings. For more than 6 months, I've been experiencing work related stress, workplace bullying & harassment from the owner and 2 work colleagues.

5 days ago, I was told by the owner that I'm no longer suitable for my position; reasons were drop in sales, customer theft, other staff performance and for carers leave I had taken which I provided a certificate for. I've been off work since that afternoon on stress leave from the doctor.

I feel I'm being targeted and I'm forced to resign as I physically and mentally can't take it anymore.

Would this be grounds for unfair dismissal and can I hand in the letter while on stress leave?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Louise1979,

Sorry to hear about your plight. From what you have said it does sound as though your dismissal is unfair and arbitrary. If the bullying and dismissal was in response to you exercising your right to take carers leave it could also come under "victimisation". Dismissal for exercising your legal workplace rights may be grounds for unfair dismissal.

I would speak with an employment lawyer about it as it is difficult to provide any sort of indication of whether you have a case or not without all the details.