NSW Will My Australian Citizenship be Revoked?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PaulSmith123

19 September 2016
Hi,

I currently hold dual citizenship with Australia and another country in Europe.

I've recently been convicted of a crime in my European country, equivalent to assault causing harm. The penalty imposed was a 2 year suspended sentence.

I'm currently trying to get my life back on track after this and make sure nothing like it ever happens again, it was a first offence and I'm hugely remorseful and regret the while incident.

A friend in Aus recently advised me of the new Australian Citizenship Amendment and I am now terrified that my Australian Citizenship will be revoked. I understand that the amendment is mainly to combat terrorism however there seems to be scope to revoke people's citizenship for a variety of other crimes.

Is it possible that my citizenship could be revoked?

Thank you.

S

Sophea

Hi Paulsmith123,

The Minister of Immigration and Citizenship has the power to revoke Australian Citizenship under the following instances:

• you have been found guilty of making a false or misleading statement in relating to your citizenship application
• you have been been convicted of an offence against either an Australian or foreign law and have either been sentenced to death, or a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more
• you have been convicted of a serious criminal offence and has been sentenced to at least 12 months imprisonment at any time prior to becoming a citizen
• you have gained citizenship either through migration, or third party fraud
• the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest if you were to remain an Australian citizen.

PaulSmith123

19 September 2016
Hi Sophia,

Thank you for the response. Could I just ask, do you know if this action is taken often by the minister or not?

Thanks