LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Will I Need to Pay Back Child Support?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sorbet, 1 June 2016.

1. Sorbet

Sorbet Member

Hi,

From the 1st of July 2015, I have been unable to work due to a medical condition. After 3 months when I was advised by my doctor that I would not be able to return to work, I contacted the Child Support Agency to reduce my estimated income.

As such, the child support I received increased. I have now been advised that my TPD insurance claim (as part of my superannuation) has been accepted and I am due to receive a lump sum payout inclusive of my current super amount.

Will I be paying taxes on my TPD portion and so I assume some of it must be classed now as income?

My question is, will I have to pay back any child support because of this?

We currently have a private arrangement for child support whereby he pays me directly the amount advised by the child support agency. At this point, I am unsure as to when I will receive this payment and have been quoted that it could take 3 weeks to 3 months? Also not sure if I receive payment after this financial year would that make any difference to any amounts I need to pay back in Child support?

Many thanks

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Sorbet, I'm not an expert in this area, but I know that sometimes TPD payments do impact eligibility for and the amounts of other income supplements such as WorkCover payments etc, which are calculated on your income. I would assume this will be the same for the child support, however I'm not sure if you will have to back pay.

For this reason, if a lawyer makes the TPD application on your behalf, they will often hold the amount you are paid out on trust until an ideal time to release the funds - when your entitlement to WorkCover or whatever has ceased or some other factors make it more favourable tax wise.

3. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

How big is the payout?