Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Will I Need to Pay Back Child Support?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sorbet, 1 June 2016.

1. Sorbet

Sorbet Member

Hi,

From the 1st of July 2015, I have been unable to work due to a medical condition. After 3 months when I was advised by my doctor that I would not be able to return to work, I contacted the Child Support Agency to reduce my estimated income.

As such, the child support I received increased. I have now been advised that my TPD insurance claim (as part of my superannuation) has been accepted and I am due to receive a lump sum payout inclusive of my current super amount.

Will I be paying taxes on my TPD portion and so I assume some of it must be classed now as income?

My question is, will I have to pay back any child support because of this?

We currently have a private arrangement for child support whereby he pays me directly the amount advised by the child support agency. At this point, I am unsure as to when I will receive this payment and have been quoted that it could take 3 weeks to 3 months? Also not sure if I receive payment after this financial year would that make any difference to any amounts I need to pay back in Child support?

Many thanks

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Sorbet, I'm not an expert in this area, but I know that sometimes TPD payments do impact eligibility for and the amounts of other income supplements such as WorkCover payments etc, which are calculated on your income. I would assume this will be the same for the child support, however I'm not sure if you will have to back pay.

For this reason, if a lawyer makes the TPD application on your behalf, they will often hold the amount you are paid out on trust until an ideal time to release the funds - when your entitlement to WorkCover or whatever has ceased or some other factors make it more favourable tax wise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

How big is the payout?