NSW Is Centrelink owed anything after receipt of Lump sum back pay

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Stunned

10 May 2017
I recently received a lump sum back payment for child support AFTER my youngest turned 18 and all Family Benefit payments ceased. Do I now owe Centrelink as I received full benefits for nearly 9 years as I wasn't receiving any child support during that time?

sammy01

27 September 2015
possibly... The amount of FTB you get can change depending on the amount of child support payable....

What to do? nothing... But don't spend the $$ either. Wait till end of financial year. If you owe them they should work it out then and let you know...
You could call dept human services and give it as a hypothetical - don't give them your name. That would give you some certainty..

Blessing

20 April 2017
Sydney NSW
I would say call and find out, they might miss it now but no matter how much time passes they can come back to you and ask for you to pay back, or they might not.

Personally i would wanna know for sure, rather than waiting and hoping i don't have to pay back anything