WA How Can I Pay a Lower Amount of Child Support?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tim somers

4 November 2015
I had a case that is now ended, however I still owe arrears (that I was paying extra on top of my child support amount) and the Child Support Agency has now informed me that they are going to continue with the current payment for 5years to clear the debt which also includes the "overdue fee's". The amount they want is going to financially ruin me and as usual the Child Support Agency do not care.

How can I get the government fees and charges removed so that I pay a lower amount? I may as well become unemployed as I will have more money in my pocket at the end of the week

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Tim,

My suggestion is to contact the Child Support Agency and appeal the amount that they are taking out.
Maybe ask for a different payment plan so that you are able to meet your obligations but over a longer period.

tim somers

4 November 2015
Tim,

My suggestion is to contact the Child Support Agency and appeal the amount that they are taking out.
Maybe ask for a different payment plan so that you are able to meet your obligations but over a longer period.

Yes, I attempted to do that today. However, I need to prove financial hardship and we all know the CSA never assists the father, only the mother

sammy01

27 September 2015
Can you give us some rough figures around the CSA and the fees they are charging?

You can appeal to the AAT. Worth thinking about and I reckon worth a try. Look into it and hurry because I think there are rules about time limits on applying.

Why / how did you get so far behind in payments?

No offence mate, but by the sounds of things, you avoided paying child support and the system has just caught up with you... I also wanna warn you that you might offend some people by suggesting CSA is sexist.

Mate, I have 3 kids, I'm a bloke the kids live with me. Their mum lives in a nice house with a pool and just got back from a holiday in Bali...How much child support does she pay? None. Nice house, new car, holiday AND her taxable income is $20 000. She does cash in hand and pays $0 tax...Child support don't care.

That said, if I'm wrong I apologise and I'm really interested in your case. So keep us informed.

Cheers