VIC Will - How Long until Beneficiaries are Contacted?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lauren8891

20 July 2017
Hi,

My grandfather passed away nearly 12 months ago and prior to his passing he had drawn up a new will which he advised myself and my brother that we were beneficiaries. My father is the executor of will and due to the difficult relationship we have it's impossible to ask him if myself and my brother are to receive anything from the will - he is not aware of what my grandfather told us.

I know the will has been opened and read as I overheard my father on the phone to his solicitor confirming details of the will and other beneficiaries details and what they are to receive. I'm not in any rush to find out - just curious as to what I have been left. I am wanting to know if there is a time limit (say 12 months?) once a person has passed and the will is read, beneficiaries need to be contacted and notified? Can my father delay me finding out what I have been left in the will and will I be compensated if this is the case?

Thanks

AdValorem

20 August 2015
Perth
Hi Lauren

Section 50 of the Victorian Wills Act is relevant - you must be given the opportunity to inspect and make copies of the will.

There are no reasons why your father should delay giving you a copy of the will.

There are important time limits which are relevant to those who are considering challenging a will.

Kind regards
AV