QLD Who Can be an Independent Trustee for Will and Estates?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
In no particular order I see you option as.
  • Contest the will to get the money. This will cost everybody a lot and probably wont end well.
  • Convince the executor to make as ( @Sarah J suggested) to pass the trust to the Public trustee. Just remember they are a bureaucracy and will do their duty but don’t "care" about you. But you wont have the family history to deal with.
  • Leave thing as they are.
BTW you need to get a copy of the will to truly know where you stand. The executor must provide this if you ask . A small fee may be charged.

Reactions: cheryle

cheryle

30 July 2014
In no particular order I see you option as.
  • Contest the will to get the money. This will cost everybody a lot and probably wont end well.
  • Convince the executor to make as ( @Sarah J suggested) to pass the trust to the Public trustee. Just remember they are a bureaucracy and will do their duty but don’t "care" about you. But you wont have the family history to deal with.
  • Leave thing as they are.
BTW you need to get a copy of the will to truly know where you stand. The executor must provide this if you ask . A small fee may be charged.
Thanks again Winston will ask for will again.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Did the will itself create a trust or is this money on trust for sale administered by the executor/trustee for the trust for sale? If the will created the trust, you need to look at the terms of the trust. If it is a trust for sale, therefore, it is held on trust while the executor/trustee distributes the property of the will, and you cannot immediately take the money because of some contingency in the will, then what I say above applies.

Reactions: cheryle

cheryle

30 July 2014
Did the will itself create a trust or is this money on trust for sale administered by the executor/trustee for the trust for sale? If the will created the trust, you need to look at the terms of the trust. If it is a trust for sale, therefore, it is held on trust while the executor/trustee distributes the property of the will, and you cannot immediately take the money because of some contingency in the will, then what I say above applies.
Thankyou Sarah