VIC What will be Our Visa Status if We Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pri

4 November 2015
Hi there

I came to Australia in 2012 with my husband. Right now we've been married for more than 5 years, but things are not going well between us, so I'm thinking of getting a divorce, but we are living together as of now.

Before taking any step further I want to know few things.

I came on student visa from India and my husband came with me as my dependent. Right now we are on Temporary Resident Visa that is work visa after graduation and I will apply for Permanent Residency next year.

I wanted to know if we proceed for divorce what will be the implications on our visa status and how can we proceed with the case??

A quick response would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.....

S

Sophea

Hi Pri, I believe that once you have permanent residency it doesn't matter what you do in terms of divorce neither of you are affected. However I'm not sure what the case is for Temporary Work Visas. You may wish to contact either the Dept of Immigration or a migration agent about this.

You should know that before you are eligible to apply for divorce in Australia you must be separated for 12 months. You must also either regard Australia as your home and intend to live here indefinitely, or ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months prior to filing for divorce.

Pri

4 November 2015
Hi Pri, I believe that once you have permanent residency it doesn't matter what you do in terms of divorce neither of you are affected. However I'm not sure what the case is for Temporary Work Visas. You may wish to contact either the Dept of Immigration or a migration agent about this.

You should know that before you are eligible to apply for divorce in Australia you must be separated for 12 months. You must also either regard Australia as your home and intend to live here indefinitely, or ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months prior to filing for divorce.
Thankyou so much for your response. .....