VIC What is the divorce process and does it effects on my pr visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hanan Hamouda

22 March 2020
Melbourne
I am holding PR visa/ partner visa for my husband who is an Australian citizen.
We have been married for seven years and our marriage is now broken because of many reasons. I've been living here, in AU
with him for less than two years .
I am not working but studying only .
I want to know the process I have to follow for divorce and what is my rights and how I can cover my expenses till I can find a job?
Does the divorce effects my PR ?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do you have kids?
Cover expenses? spousal maintenace can be ordered by a court but based on the limited info provided I doubt you would be successful in making that application.

I'd suggest asking your question in the immigration forum. I have no idea about centrelink entitlements for people on PR visa.

divorce is pretty simple - basically live separately for 12 months then apply for divorce. Asset division is a whole different story.

Hanan Hamouda

22 March 2020
Melbourne
Thank you for your reply
I don't have kids from him but my daughter is living with in Australia and he is her sponsor also .
When we will be separated .shall I have right to get paid from him to cover my expenses till I get the divorce??
Do you have kids?
Cover expenses? spousal maintenace can be ordered by a court but based on the limited info provided I doubt you would be successful in making that application.

I'd suggest asking your question in the immigration forum. I have no idea about centrelink entitlements for people on PR visa.

divorce is pretty simple - basically live separately for 12 months then apply for divorce. Asset division is a whole different story.