NSW What happens if the defendant gets security of costs and the plaintiff cannot afford to pay, resulting in dismissal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
What happens if the defendant gets 'security of costs' and the plaintiff cannot afford to pay, resulting in dismissal of proceedings?

Will the defendant get a costs order or will there be no order as to costs?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
plaintiff cannot afford to pay, resulting in dismissal of proceedings?

See UNIFORM CIVIL PROCEDURE RULES 2005 - REG 42.21 (3) If the plaintiff fails to comply with an order under this rule, the court may order that the proceeding on the plaintiff's claim for relief in the proceedings be dismissed.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
A while back, when discussing costs, I wrote:
When you lose (in court), you will pay their costs as well as your own.
If you were somebody who took advice, then you would be well advised
to start preparing for that situation now.
The lawyers you patently cannot afford would likely tell you
to try not to pick a fight that you, literally, cannot afford to lose.

Dismissal is not an application that is granted lightly.
That's why the rule provides for a process and a set of factors
that the court is required to consider.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Thanks guys, still does not the answer the question though.

If I cannot pay the security of costs requested, and the matter is dismissed under Ucpr 42.21(3), will the court order I have to pay the defendants costs or is there just a permanent stay of proceedings.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Tim, thanks for the advice, but you said the same (i think) regarding the hotel and the security guard matter and you were not correct then regarding outcome.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks guys, still does not the answer the question though.

If I cannot pay the security of costs requested, and the matter is dismissed under Ucpr 42.21(3), will the court order I have to pay the defendants costs or is there just a permanent stay of proceedings.
There's no stay of proceedings here - your matter appears to have been dismissed.
The court has the option to make you pay the defendant's costs to date.
Did they not make an order as to costs at the time?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
....you were not correct then regarding outcome.
If it helps you sleep at night, then you go right ahead and keep on believing that.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
There's no stay of proceedings here - your matter appears to have been dismissed.
The court has the option to make you pay the defendant's costs to date.
Did they not make an order as to costs at the time?

It has not gone back yet. There has been a "SOC" application. I just wanted to know if I I cannot (or will not) pay the requested amount, what will happen?

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
If it helps you sleep at night, then you go right ahead and keep on believing that.

I am just saying, you said I did not have a case and I did. I do not want to argue Tim, I came here to seek help and help others when I know the answer myself.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
If there’s a costs order against you and you cannot/will not pay, then it can be enforced as a judgment debt, and therefore treated like any other court judgment.