Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD What Constitutes Death Threat or Stalking under Criminal Law?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Joelene, 31 July 2015.

1. Joelene

Joelene Member

Hello from a new poster but long time reader. A person known to me has sent me several texts, all of a different wording and I am wondering if they could constitute a death threat or just be seen as stalking under criminal law?

Three examples: you will go down hard when I am finished with you. I will get you. Pick out a coffin.

The last one obviously concerns me the most.

Also is there a time limit to be able to lodge a police complaint? These were over a year ago, but there has been milder texts since these ones and I am wondering if the nasty examples above will count in addition with the more recent ones?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Joelene,
    Based on what you have described above, I believe there would be grounds for a finding of stalking here. Whether the death threats would also be considered assault or a threat to murder (which is made an offence under s308 of the Criminal Code in Qld) may depend on whether you had a genuine apprehended fear of the threats being carried out (however this is not a requirement for a stalking charge). I am not overly familiar with the case law in this area and whether or not something of the nature of "pick out a coffin" would be sufficient to be a death threat at law, however in my opinion I believe it would, especially in the context of the other messages. There will also probably be grounds for a commonwealth offence under section 474.17 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth) for menacing using carrier service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...