NT What are My Property Rights Towards My Personal Parcel?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jeffrey nisza

24 October 2016
I have been living in a workshop for 2 years and working as well in a business property. I'm renting a container home inside the property. My residential address, licence address and voting address are in this property address.

My question is, why I am not allowed to collect my personal post parcel (it is on my name and this address). The post office manager said, legally, I have no right to collect and only the owner of the business can.

The parcel can only be collected and signed by person with their name on it I need a legal help for this as if this is legally true, what will happen if my parcel missing? And do I need to accept the fact that I have no property rights to my parcel at all?

Thank you and please I need a good opinions.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the parcel is addressed with your name, and you have produced valid ID and address, then the PO manager has no right to withhold your parcel.

jeffrey nisza

24 October 2016
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately, this issue is quite a bit interesting. As you said, the money in my parcel every week contains hundreds and hundreds of dollars and am worried that something might go missing or if the owner is sick and/or whenever she is happy to pick up my parcel, then I need to wait for it patiently.

Yes, the parcel is addressed in my name and I have a valid drivers licence, bank account address,
even a registered voting address. Why are they stopping me for picking up my parcel. Legally this place is my home address.

I completely disagree with the reason that even the PO manager explained to me. The best way to sort this one is to find another job or accommodation. I am really not sure if I need to seek legal advise due to the fact that my situation will risk my job.

My situation is really difficult.

jeffrey nisza

24 October 2016
This is the E mail I received today from the post office manager.

Good Morning.

I will lodge this as an official complaint and look into it straight away.

I am very sorry about any inconvenience and distress that this has caused. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Regards

Mr-------------------------------------
Council Services Coordinator