NSW Property Law - Previous Employer Withholding My Parcels - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sebastian96

28 October 2015
G'day!

Since a few weeks, I'm no longer working for my ex-employer (a bar / hotel) anymore. While working there, I lived on the premises and was allowed to use their postal address. A domestic parcel from VIC and an international one from Germany were sent there and they both arrived after I left since I got in conflict with my employers because of them not complying with the NSW employment law.

I've tried to contact them numerous times to forward my parcels, offering to pay them back the postage and some extra money for the effort but they are not replying in any way, withholding the parcels that have quite some value. I've got a tracking number for the domestic one and can thereby prove that it arrived at their hotel.

Do I have any legal way under Property Law of forcing them to hand out the parcels?

Thanks in advance

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Have you tried ringing the police (on the non emergency line of course) and explaining about them keeping your parcels?
This would be determined as theft.

sebastian96

28 October 2015
Hey JS79,

Yes, I've been to my local police station today. Sadly they can't do anything until I'm in contact with my ex employers which won't happen since they don't reply to me..

Well, thanks anyways! If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate them!

Sincerely