NSW What Are My Options After Motorbike Accident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
26 May 2016
Hi, my fiancee and I were hit by a truck while riding my motorbike 7 months ago. We sustained serious injuries from the motorbike accident - life threatening and we are still recovering.

We've just been informed that while the police went to lay charges of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm, they weren't able to find the truck driver, even with all his details and since it has now past 6 months the charges have been withdrawn. His insurance company can't locate him either.

While it doesn't affect our claim. I find it disgusting that our lives have been irreversibly altered in so many ways, continuously for the rest of our lives. He gets to walk free and return to his life as normal now as if nothing had happened.

The system protects the guilty while the innocent continue to suffer.

My question Is, do I have any other way to hold him accountable for his actions?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Charges should be re-instated if they find him. Confirm by asking the police.

26 May 2016
Thanks, from what I've read on the police website, and other lawyers pages, they aren't reinstated. The police handling our case hasn't done a reasonable job either, which didn't help. Was a pretty clear cut case too, as we had off duty police officer among several witnesses to the accident.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmm, not sure if the charges need to be personally served or can be posted. Think it depends on the charges they file.

I agree, sounds like the police are lazy following this up for you. I did wonder if you are a 'bikie' and therefore the police are not that interested in helping.

Ask the insurance company if they have a forwarding address and phone number for the driver. His insurance company should have these details. Not sure if they will give them to you but worth a try. You may need to do some of the work the police should be doing if you want to catch this guy. Also try following up through his trucking business.

Being a truckie he could spend most of the time on the road but he must be getting his jobs from somewhere.